Thursday, September 27, 2007

The Mundane

I've just spent the last hour and a half flipping back and forth between watching the Mariners game and the Republican debate moderated by Tavis Smiley. The debate was most notable for the candidates who chose not to appear: John McCain, Fred Thompson, Mitt Romney and Rudy Giuliani. All of the — so called — front runners. I like a lot of what Ron Paul has to say. He's a former presidential candidate for the Libertarian Party and I agree with a lot of their principles. He cannot call himself a true Libertarian though, because he's fervently anti-choice. He is against the war though (and the whole damn military industrial complex!) and he's believes the war on drugs is a ridiculous and failed policy. So he's semi-sane. As opposed to Tom Tancredo, Duncan Hunter and Alan Keyes. They're all around the bend. I picture Duncan Hunter in his den with a glass a scotch in his fist, watching the Military Channel late into the night, growling at the eternal enemies of the televised war. When I was in the service we used to call his type "ate up." Alan Keyes . . . even he was surprised they let him in the door. Sam Brownback strikes me as phony and pious. Besides the fact that the evangelicals love him, which immediately gives him a black mark in my book. Oh yeah, I keep a book. Tom Tancredo? Oh, don't get me started on him. And then there's Mike Huckabee. I like the guy. Oh, I've read some things about him that would immediately put him out of the running in my book. But he's very likable and he talks a good talk. He also pardoned Keith Richards, so he can't be all bad.

And then there's the Democrats. Ugh! Would somebody cull the herd already. If only the — so called — front runners in that party would fail to show up to a few debates we might actually hear something interesting. Let Hillary and John and, yes even Barack, stay home for an evening and watch the fiasco called an electoral process that American citizens are subjected to. I caught the very end of the Democratic debate on MSNBC moderated by chubby Tim Russert. He asked the last question with much seriousness and gravity: There's been a lot of discussion about the Democrats and the issue of faith and values. I want to ask you a simple question . . . What is your favorite bible verse? I was aghast. I was waiting for someone to mention the verse about stoning women for being rape victims (Deut. 22:21), or the one about killing 50,000 innocent persons because a few looked into a box (1 Sam. 6:19.) Tim is of course referring the media's obsession with the idea that somehow only the Republican party can truly represent Christians. Imagine that! What does that tell you about the perception of Christians in this country? Republicans are constantly rewarding the richest and whitest among us. So much for not being able to get that camel through the eye of the needle, heh? When it comes to crime and endless war they're downright bloodthristy; but somehow calling a microscopic clump of cells a human being justifies a "culture of life." Sam Brownback used that exact phrase tonight during the debate on PBS.

I voted for Kerry in the last election and I still wake up in a cold sweat sometimes because of that. The Democratic Party hasn't had a candidate I liked since Jimmy Carter. Oh, along the way you may see Tom Harkin, or Dennis Kucinich, or yes, even Howard Dean. Someone not so greased up already by the corporate powers that actually run this country. But those "fringe" candidates are winnowed out of the field pretty quickly. I think the problem is the two party system. That and the fact the elections are not publicly financed. I'm still amazed that mainstream Democrats still blame Ralph Nader, because we now have that bumbling fascist in charge, stripping away our civil rights left and right. Somehow it's Ralph's fault that the supreme court is poised to overturn Roe v. Wade and many other longstanding landmarks of justice. Brown v. the Board of Education maybe? I'll probably return to the Green Party or Libertarian Party for the big elections, or write in someone with some sense of reason.

Oh, I believe the Mariners won. They were leading 4 to 1 the last time I peeked. Baseball has a very long season, and although the Mariners have had their best season in years, I'm ready to take a break from being a sports fan. Everyone on the team had a decent year, except for, um . . .Richie Sexson. Maybe Richie should have chosen his other dream of being a C.I.A. agent.

My son Justin has been teething for at least a week now. I think he has one of those horse-sized molars coming. (All the better to bite me with!) This means that he is up much of the night, whining and writhing. When he napped this afternoon I took advantage and did the same myself. I gave him a bath just before bed tonight. I always hope that will induce a more restful sleep, but that seems to be wishful thinking on my part. There's no shortage of that. As I was getting him dressed in his PJ's he leaned forward and bit me on the shoulder. I picture that moment from the beginning of the Dawn of the Dead remake, when the little girl next door rips a chunk out of the guy's shoulder. This wasn't that bad, but I don't want to encourage it. Maybe Justin has just a little vampire blood running through his veins. The biting and nighttime waking? I think I have some garlic in the kitchen.

No comments: