Monday, August 27, 2007

My Day Off

It's Monday and that usually means that it's my day off. Jen takes over watching Justin on Sunday evening through Tuesday afternoon. It's a break that I look forward to each week. This Monday I'm still trying to pick the next book I'm going to read. I think it's down to either Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder, or God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. I'll be attending this year's Freedom From Religion conference in Madison, Wisconsin in mid-October and Christopher Hitchens is the featured speaker. He'll also be receiving the "Emperor Has No Clothes" Award. Earlier this year I read The End of Faith by Sam Harris, The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins, and Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism by Michelle Golberg and I feel compelled to read Hitchens diatribe before I see him speak this fall.

Last night Jen and I watched Root of All Evil? a documentary by Richard Dawkins about the evils of religion. I had recently ordered the DVD from www.skeptic.com (Dr. Michael Shermer's organization.) We then listened to Julia Sweeney's latest monologue entitled Letting Go of God about her journey towards embracing rational thought and leaving faith based dogma in the dust. It was a funny and moving piece and I'm very excited that she'll also be appearing at the FFRF convention this year. Then we stayed up watching one of my all-time favorite films, Holiday starring Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn. So, all in all the evening was sort of a celebration of freethinking.

No comments: