Saturday, August 25, 2007

A Heady Mix of Heavy Metal and Tears

Justin is now sleeping soundly. I put him to bed at 7:30 this evening and he was sound asleep within fifteen minutes. While he was taking his nap this afternoon I finished reading To Dance With The White Dog. What a wonderful little book. I could barely read the last few pages through the tears in my eyes. I really got caught up with that old arborist named Sam Peek and his white dog ingeniously named White Dog. Terry Kay did a marvelous job portraying the dignity and fortitude that is in all of us in our waning years. Also palpable in the novel is Sam's intense love for his wife, who has died just as the book begins. The reader grieves right along with Sam as he looks back on the one great love in his life. I'm so happy that I stumbled upon this little gem.

The Mariners lost tonight, but that's okay...they're only human. Highly paid humans, but humans nonetheless. It's not quite nine o'clock. I have the whole evening to chose my next book. Will it be God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens, or Warlock by Oakley Hall? Or maybe Life Itself: Exploring the Realm of the Living Cell by Boyce Rensberger, or Mutiny on the Bounty by Nordhoff and Hall? It may take me a day or so to pick a book. It's unusual that I started reading one book on the same night I finished the previous one. It usually takes me at least a day of perusing my library to pick the next lucky contestant. It's all part of the joy that reading injects into my meager life.

Now I sit here listening to the Scorpions' Lovedrive. It's the album with the sticky breast cover art. If you're familiar with the Scorpions you'll know what disc I'm speaking of. I don't know what has brought on this recent spate of listening to heavy metal. It seems to have started as soon as I cut my hair. Just over a week ago I got my hair cut pretty darn short, especially considering that I've had pony tail length hair for roughly sixteen years. It felt like a big change for the first few days, but now I'm enjoying the low maintenance hairdo. I'm already feeling the need to get it cut again though. And shorter this time.

I guess if I ever want to see any comments at the bottom of these posts I'll have to actually tell people that I have a blog. Hmmm.

No comments: